• Biggerstaff, L., Cicero, D. C., & Puckett, A. (2015). Suspect CEOs, unethical culture, and corporate misbehavior. Journal of Financial Economics…
• Brody, R. G., Perri, F. S., & Van Buren, H. J. (2015). Further beyond the basic background check: Predicting future unethical behavior. Business…
• Grigoropoulos, J. E. (2019). The role of ethics in 21st century organizations. International Journal of Progressive Education, 15(2), 167–175
• Kilduff, G. J., Galinsky, A. D., Gallo, E., & Reade, J. J. (2016). Whatever it takes to win: Rivalry increases unethical behavior. Academy…
• Rothstein, M. A. (2015). Ethical issues in big data health research: Currents in contemporary bioethics. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 43(2), 425
• Smith-Crowe, K., Tenbrunsel, A., Chan-Serafin, S., Brief, A., Umphress, E., & Joseph, J. (2015). The ethics ‘fix’: When formal systems make…
• Vollmer, S. (2018). The board’s role in promoting an ethical culture. Journal of Accountancy, 226(1), 79–83
• Vriend, T., Jordan, J., & Janssen, O. (2016, November). Reaching the top and avoiding the bottom: How ranking motivates unethical intentions…
This week’s resources provide a great deal of information regarding the impact that organizational systems have on unethical behavior. For example, researchers note that rivalry can often increase unethical behaviors (Kilduff et al., 2016). This week, you will explain how an organization’s culture (e.g., systems and practices) can unknowingly or unintentionally increase unethical behavior among employees.
Assume you have been tasked with researching these concepts for your organization’s management team, who are concerned about possible cases of unethical behavior stemming from organizational systems in place. Prepare a professional business memo to share with managers at the next team meeting. Be sure to include the following in your memo:
• Explain the importance of organizational culture and codes of conduct in encouraging ethical behavior.
• Assess three organizational policies or practices, as found in the readings and outside research, which can increase unethical behavior among employees.
• Propose informal and formal system solutions to reduce unethical behavior in your organization. Explain the benefits of these system solutions, as well as possible implications for these solutions.
Support your memo with a minimum of three scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including older articles, may be included.
Length: 1-2 pages, not including title and reference pages
Your memo should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards where appropriate.
Note:All papers are run through TurnItIn.com.