Discussion: Pediatric Bipolar Depression Disorder Debate
Some debate in the literature exists specific to whether or not bipolar disorder can be diagnosed in childhood. While some have anecdotally argued that it is not possible for children to develop bipolar disorder (as normal features of childhood confound the diagnosis), other sources argue that pediatric bipolar disorder is a fact.
In this Discussion, you engage in a debate as to whether pediatric bipolar disorder is possible to diagnose.
• Evaluate diagnosis of pediatric bipolar depression disorder
• Analyze consequences to diagnosing/failing to diagnose pediatric bipolar depression disorder
To Prepare for the Discussion:
• Choose your position for or against the issue of diagnosing pediatric bipolar depression disorder.
• Review the Learning Resources concerning the controversy over the diagnosis of pediatric bipolar depression disorder.
• Write “for” or “against” in the subject line of your Discussion post.
• Based on the position you choose, justify whether or not pediatric bipolar depression disorder should be diagnosed.
Support your position with evidence and example.