Think back over the last couple of weeks. We all read various materials on a daily basis: Think about road signs, receipts, cereal boxes, texts, social media posts, product descriptions, magazines, letters, emails, books, etc. What piece of reading had the most impact on you recently, whether it was positive or negative?
In one substantial paragraph, describe the piece of reading content you chose above and its content. Then, in another substantial paragraph, analyze the piece: What made it so important or engaging to you? Why did it matter to you? Did you fully understand it? Were you able to apply it in your life, and if so, how?
Submit your paragraph as part 1 of the submission for this week below.
Take this Reading Comprehension Quiz: https://spscc.instructure.com/courses/1345787/quizzes/2404742
Review the questions you got wrong. For each one you missed, attempt to choose the correct answer and try to determine what contributed to your mistakes.
STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE READING
Read these tips for reading efficiently and effectively at the college level:
1. Find a quiet space, silence your phone, and concentrate.
2. Consider the context. Why has this reading been assigned, and/or what will you use it for? This information will help target your reading so you can find what’s important.
3. Convert the title and subtitles into questions. For example, “Buster’s Day at the Farm” becomes “What did Buster do at the farm and what was important about that?” This framework often works pretty well: What is (insert the topic) and what is important about it? The title and subtitles provide “signposts” to guide the reader to what’s important, and this technique will allow you to take advantage of that.
4. Find the topic and the main idea. What is the text generally about, and what does the author have to say about the topic? The main idea is usually about one sentence long. It is often stated in a thesis statement that can be found at the beginning and end of the piece. If you understand the main idea, you will be better able to understand the importance of all the other information and prioritize what to focus on.
5. Skim first. Think of skim milk. Skimming off the fat is a way of getting rid of what you don’t need. Skimming when you read also refers to moving your eyes quickly across the pages without setting. The purpose of skimming is to understand the overall structure and type of piece you are reading. There may be whole sections that are unimportant to my purpose for reading and might be skipped altogether. Be careful, though—you wouldn’t want to skim off something you actually need! After skimming, go back and read more carefully, focusing on essential passages.
6. Target what’s important by varying your reading speed. Watch Improving Reading Comprehension (link: https://www.lynda.com/Higher-Education-tutorials/Improving-your-reading-comprehension-through-speed-variability/372920/426619-4.html?org=stratford.edu)
7. Take notes. After each paragraph, write down brief answers to these questions: What was the point of that paragraph and what was its purpose in the overall piece? What information is helpful to my purpose for reading this piece?
8. Explain the information to someone else, focusing on what’s most important. The best way to solidify information in your mind is to articulate it to others.
Pull out at least three pieces of information from the above resources that you found helpful and can apply to your reading process moving forward. For each piece of information, explain what you find useful about it and how you plan to apply it, in complete sentences (1-3 sentences per tip).
Submit your list and explication of the tips as part 2 of your submission for this week below.
Why Work with CheggAnswers
At CheggAnswers.com, we boast of our quick turnaround that is facilitated by our experienced team of writers. We can handle both short and long deadlines, as per our clients’ requests. Quality work is the cornerstone of our service.
Our writers are qualified professionals who are well-versed with more than 80 subjects. We have achieved this milestone overtime because of our rigorous hiring process that filters professionals from average writers. We believe that exposing our customers to qualified writers is the starting point of delivering quality work.
Our writers submit papers that are written from scratch to uphold the much-needed originality when submitting your papers. Our references are mainly sourced from reputable databases such as Emerald Insight, Ebsco, and ProQuest. All papers follow the conventional styles of referencing that include APA, MLA, Chicago, Harvard, and Vancouver.
24/7 Customer Support
The customer is king and as such, CheggAnswers.com has a committed support department that handles all concerns and clarifications from our clients. We encourage customers to contact us at any given time through our listed telephone, email, and text platforms.
Prompt Delivery & 100% Money Back Guarantee
Your work starts immediately after placing an order. Our writers are aware of our company policy that guarantees quality work to all our customers. For this reason, CheggAnswers strives to deliver assignments on time to avoid any delays that might compromise our relationship with clients.
Although we are confident in our writers, you are entitled to free revisions whenever need arises. However, we highly disregard customers who misuse this privilege.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We offer a wide range of services that are aligned with the customers’ needs and expectations. We have positioned ourselves strategically to become a one-stop-shop where customers can access all academic services under one roof.
Our main service is academic paper writing, which is handled by a pool of experienced writers who uphold the expected standards of writing. Over the years, we have delivered quality work to our clients because of our commitment to promote quality over quantity.
Whether you are about to Join College or you are a continuing student, CheggAnswers is there to help. Our competent professionals will solve all your writing problems. Personalization is key to scoring highly and satisfying the admission board’s expectations. We will help you achieve your academic goals.
Editing & Proofreading
Some of our clients prefer to write their essays and have a third-party like CheggAnswers proofread their work. We have a skilled team of editors who comb through your paper and make any amends to increase its overall appeal. For all your editing and proofreading needs, CheggAnswers is there to help.
At CheggAnswers, we offer an extensive revision support that works tirelessly to ensure that customer needs and expectations are met. We work closely with writers upon a customer’s revision request to ensure that we keep our promise of delivering quality work to all our clients.