Roberto is the sole proprietor of EatDrinkRead, a neighbourhood bookstore and outdoor cafe, and is dealing with a few employment – related problems. Using what you have learned in MGS 350, and in particular what you have learned about workplace law, answer the following questions:
1. Roberto has made an arrangement with Tanya under which Tanya leads book club discussions at the store on Tuesday and Saturday afternoons. Roberto chooses the books (usually new books for sale at the bookstore), the timing and the length of the discussions, and snacks are provided by the café. Interested customers sign up on the bookstore website and pay a fee to the bookstore. Half of the money collected goes to pay Tanya.
a. Is Tanya an employee or an independent contractor? Explain the reasons for your answer. ( 3 marks)
b. Why is this distinction important? Give two consequences of your answer in a. (2 marks)
2. Roberto has a store policy that prohibits staff from displaying tattoos, body piercings or any other type of body art. Roberto hired a new server after conducting a telephone interview, and when she arrived for her first day of work, Roberto was surprised to see that she had a red bindi (red dot) tattooed on her forehead. The server explained that it was part of a religious observance. Roberto told the server that she if she wants to work at the café, she has to have the bindi removed.
a. What statute is relevant to this situation? (1 mark)
b. Has Roberto discriminated against the server? In your answer, indicate the relevant protected/prohibited ground and discuss the concept of BFOR. ( 3 marks)
c. What should the server do in this situation? ( 1 mark)
3. Elsa, a part-time salesperson who works evenings in the bookstore, came to speak to Roberto about a situation that was making her uncomfortable. According to Elsa, the evening store manager, Jason, has been making comments about Elsa’s clothing, body and overall appearance since she began work a few months ago. At first Elsa just ignored the comments, but they have become more personal, so Elsa asked Jason to stop. The comments have only increased, and last night, Jason pressed his body against Elsa’s when they were both behind the cash register. Elsa told Roberto that she needs his help to deal with the situation.
a. What kind of situation is this? ( 1 mark)
b. What are Roberto’s obligations in this situation? What should he do? ( 2 marks)
c. If Roberto does not do anything, what can Elsa do? ( 2 marks)
4. The business has suffered during the recent Covid-19 restrictions and Roberto needs to reduce his expenses. He decides to fire Julian, one of the two cooks, since the outdoor café is not very busy. Julian is a good worker and has had the job for 5 years. He is 55 years old and support his aging mother and college-student son. Julian has an employment contract, but it doesn’t say anything about termination.
a. What factors are relevant to determine the amount of reasonable notice that Roberto must give Julian under the common law? How would these factors apply in this situation? ( 3 marks)
b. Assume that Roberto pays Julian less that he is entitled to, and Julian sues Roberto for wrongful dismissal. Julian turns down a job offer from a diner because the pay is less than what he was earning at EatDrinkRead and because he believes that the money he will recover in his lawsuit will allow him to take it easy for a while. Will Julian’s decision affect the outcome of his lawsuit against Roberto? Explain your answer. ( 2 marks)
5. Roberto’s best salesperson has recently quit and has taken a job at a bookstore a few blocks away. Roberto is furious and shows you the employment agreement, which included the following term : “You agree that upon your resignation or termination of employment, you will not carry on, or be employed by a business that competes with EatDrinkRead in Toronto for one year after your employment ends”.
a. What type of clause is this? (1 mark)
b. Is this clause valid? Explain your answer. (3 marks)
c. Assuming it is valid, what can Roberto do? (1 mark)
Why Work with CheggAnswers
At CheggAnswers.com, we boast of our quick turnaround that is facilitated by our experienced team of writers. We can handle both short and long deadlines, as per our clients’ requests. Quality work is the cornerstone of our service.
Our writers are qualified professionals who are well-versed with more than 80 subjects. We have achieved this milestone overtime because of our rigorous hiring process that filters professionals from average writers. We believe that exposing our customers to qualified writers is the starting point of delivering quality work.
Our writers submit papers that are written from scratch to uphold the much-needed originality when submitting your papers. Our references are mainly sourced from reputable databases such as Emerald Insight, Ebsco, and ProQuest. All papers follow the conventional styles of referencing that include APA, MLA, Chicago, Harvard, and Vancouver.
24/7 Customer Support
The customer is king and as such, CheggAnswers.com has a committed support department that handles all concerns and clarifications from our clients. We encourage customers to contact us at any given time through our listed telephone, email, and text platforms.
Prompt Delivery & 100% Money Back Guarantee
Your work starts immediately after placing an order. Our writers are aware of our company policy that guarantees quality work to all our customers. For this reason, CheggAnswers strives to deliver assignments on time to avoid any delays that might compromise our relationship with clients.
Although we are confident in our writers, you are entitled to free revisions whenever need arises. However, we highly disregard customers who misuse this privilege.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We offer a wide range of services that are aligned with the customers’ needs and expectations. We have positioned ourselves strategically to become a one-stop-shop where customers can access all academic services under one roof.
Our main service is academic paper writing, which is handled by a pool of experienced writers who uphold the expected standards of writing. Over the years, we have delivered quality work to our clients because of our commitment to promote quality over quantity.
Whether you are about to Join College or you are a continuing student, CheggAnswers is there to help. Our competent professionals will solve all your writing problems. Personalization is key to scoring highly and satisfying the admission board’s expectations. We will help you achieve your academic goals.
Editing & Proofreading
Some of our clients prefer to write their essays and have a third-party like CheggAnswers proofread their work. We have a skilled team of editors who comb through your paper and make any amends to increase its overall appeal. For all your editing and proofreading needs, CheggAnswers is there to help.
At CheggAnswers, we offer an extensive revision support that works tirelessly to ensure that customer needs and expectations are met. We work closely with writers upon a customer’s revision request to ensure that we keep our promise of delivering quality work to all our clients.